6 tips to Make your Video SEO Friendly
Written by: Anne Conet, WebVideos Ltd
Keep Your Page Light
Did you know that search engines like Google send people to quicker loading sites first? 10 or 15k only might make the difference between a front-page ranking and one much lower down.
Therefore improving YOUR page load time matters. And a video can make a big difference. Think ahead about you video resolution : do you really need it to be in HD ? What is the ideal size of your player ? Should it be a mp4, a swf or a quicktime video ? On which device is it going to be watched more likely?
Image compression is also a thing you should think about ahead to optimize it. For example images saved as a Jpeg file will weigh between 10 and 20% less than a png file . Rescaling the image the size your are going to use it is a good practice too.
Think About the Title
3 seconds, that’s about the amount of time we have to convince people to click on the link to the video when it appears in a list of search engine results. Therefore the page title should clearly and concisely tell what that video is all about. Select keywords close to your main topic, and think about the promise your video can make compared to the others' one. The Google Adwords keywords tool will help you find good keywords if you don’t already know them.
Surround Your Video
Search engines don’t just look at the video on your page when creating rankings; they look at the other content on that page too to check the two are relevant to each other. All the words and data on the page explain to the search engine what is the focus of the content and how targeted that page is.
Meta tags still matters
Meta tags tell search engines what your page/ video is about. The specific and focused keywords can improve the ranking in a search list. In your meta tags you should place the same information as in your page title and your video title.
Load up the URL
Your video’s URL is another place where search engines get information. Instead of using a generic URL for your page address, use precise words in relation with the video content. Display only one video per page, so that search engines can tell exactly what's going on at each location.
Is YouTube helpful?
Well, you do want your video to get noticed don't you? YouTube helps in developing your brand awareness and provides the opportunity for your video to be shared vwith others. But if your video is about engagement, or conversion or a product demo, then you want that video be seen on your site.
Upload your video to YouTube and use the embed code they provide to stream that video into website – precisely where you want it. This way your website still gets the benefit of the Google/YouTube SEO advantage (Google, Yahoo and Bing are always displaying videos at the top on a search list).
Every video posted on YouTube is indexed and the proper use of tags and keywords will increase the probability for your video and company name to be displayed at the top of a search list.
To read more: "Embedding or self-hosting a video : pros and cons".
Anne Conet, WebVideos Ltd
- What are the key points to look at when measuring a video marketing ROI?
- Youtube Marketing Videos: Building your audience
- What Are the Best Tools Used in Video Marketing?
- Should I put a promo video on my Landing Page?
- How to Produce a Promo Video for a Startup?
- 10 Things You Should Know Before Creating a YouTube Channel for Your Business
- Why is Chritmas a Good Time for You to Produce Online Videos?
- 8 Ways Your Small Business Could Use the Web Better
- How Using Psychology Can Boost Your Landing Page Conversion Rate
- Video Marketing: Increase the efficiency of your videos in 6 steps
- A Video SEO strategy. What, why and how?
- Talking Article: videos in emails - do they work?
- How to produce a powerful promotional video for mobile devices?
- Website usability: Rules to follow, things to forget
- The Importance of Viral Video Production and Quality Services
Get the latest company news and developments straight to your inbox.
Also, get a copy of our Guide to Video for Business.